Thursday, February 11, 2010

My cat's quick is starting to grow out of his nail. What do I do?

My cat has always disliked getting his nails cut. Today when I was trying to clip his nails I noticed that on one of his front thumbs, his quick has started to grow toward the edge of the nail and looks like it is starting to come out of the nail. Does anyone know why this might be happening or what we can do to fix it?My cat's quick is starting to grow out of his nail. What do I do?
Could it be that his nail either broke, or was clipped too close to the quick last time?My cat's quick is starting to grow out of his nail. What do I do?
I'm not sure what you mean, I haven't heard of this either. Cats do, however, shed the outer lining of their claws. The outer covering is called the sheath. It could be he's just losing the sheath. Happens routinely and one of the reasons why they sharpen their claws in wood, on the furniture, etc.
I'd definitely take him to the vet - I've never heard of the quick growing out of the nail, especially when it's ready for a clippin'.
Do take him to the vet. I've been trimming cat claws for years and never came across this.
I'd have your vet take a look - I've never heard of it happening - doesn't sound right to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment